1 cup urad dal
1 tsp salt
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
1 green chili, finely chopped
½ cup red onion, finely diced
1 pinch asafoetida
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorn
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Soak the urad dal lentils overnight. After soaked through, blend into a smooth texture.
2. Add in all other ingredients and mix well.
3. Separate mixture into small bite-size pieces and roll into round balls. Use your thumb to press a hole in the centre.
4. Deep fry in vegetable oil until golden brown.
5. Serve with coconut chutney or a chutney of your choice.