Chef Devan Rajkumar's mouthwatering rajma recipe
From chef Devan Rajkumar, this traditional Indian recipe sees beans, tomatoes and spices combine for a warming vegetarian meal. Try his rajma recipe tonight.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
- 2 cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1½ Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1½ cup tomato purée
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp amchur powder
- ½ tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Cilantro Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Add the oil to a pot over low-medium heat.
- Add the onion, ginger garlic paste and salt. Cook for 15 minutes or until the onions are caramelized.
- Add all of the whole and ground spices. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the tomato purée, water and kidney beans, and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10–15 minutes.
- Add sugar and adjust the seasonings as needed to your liking.
- To make the cilantro sour cream, mix the sour cream with cilantro and salt.
- Plate the rajma in a bowl and garnish with a dollop of the cilantro sour cream.