Gavan Knox's Chocolate Pouding Chomeur recipe
Semi-finalist on Food Network’s Great Chocolate Showdown, Gavan Knox sure knows his chocolate. He shares his recipe for syrup-laden chocolate puddings.
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup chocolate milk
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate (cut into ¼-oz squares)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease four individual ¼-L mini-cocottes, ramekins or other ovenproof dishes and place them onto a baking tray.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to work the butter into the flour until a rough, crumbly mixture is achieved. It should be similar to thick breadcrumbs or damp sand.
- Add the milk and chocolate milk, and stir just until the mixture comes together.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared smaller baking dishes. Push two ¼-oz squares of chocolate into the middle of each pudding. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- Combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, water, butter and vanilla in a pan, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once it reaches a rolling boil, remove it from the heat and ladle the sauce over the individual ramekin cakes.
- Place the baking tray in the oven, and bake the puddings for about 30 minutes, until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the puddings cool for about 15 minutes before serving. (Be careful, the syrup will be hot!)